Trump said the attack had been scheduled for Tuesday but was paused after leaders from Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates urged Washington to allow two or three more days for talks. He said “serious negotiations” were under way and suggested there was a “very good chance” of reaching an agreement that would prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons.
The decision marks a sharp tactical pause after days of escalating pressure from Washington. Trump said US forces had been prepared for a major assault and warned that military action remained available if diplomacy failed. His comments appeared designed to reassure Gulf partners that Washington was not stepping back from its security commitments while also giving regional mediators room to test Tehran’s latest position.
The Gulf appeal reflects the growing concern among Washington’s closest Arab partners that a new round of US strikes could draw the region deeper into the confrontation. Qatar has maintained channels for mediation, Saudi Arabia has pushed for de-escalation to protect energy infrastructure and trade routes, and the UAE has been on heightened alert after drone attacks in the region raised concerns about civilian and strategic facilities.
Iran has signalled willingness to continue indirect talks but has rejected public pressure to surrender core elements of its nuclear programme. President Masoud Pezeshkian said dialogue must preserve Iran’s rights and dignity, while military officials warned that any new US or allied attack would bring a forceful response. Tehran’s posture suggests it is trying to keep negotiations alive without appearing weakened at home.
The most difficult issues remain unchanged. Washington wants binding limits on uranium enrichment, restrictions on weaponisation pathways, and stronger verification. Iran wants sanctions relief, security guarantees, access to frozen assets and an end to measures affecting its ports and oil exports. The gap between the two sides remains substantial, even as both appear to recognise the costs of another military escalation.
Pakistan has emerged as a key intermediary, carrying messages between Tehran and Washington as both governments avoid direct substantive talks. The latest Iranian proposal has been described by US officials as insufficient, though not entirely dismissed. That distinction has allowed Trump to pause strikes while keeping pressure on Tehran to improve the offer.
The timing is critical for Gulf economies. The conflict has already disrupted shipping calculations around the Strait of Hormuz, through which a significant share of the world’s seaborne oil trade passes. Oil prices have moved sharply in response to each signal from Washington and Tehran, with traders weighing the risk of supply disruption against the possibility of a diplomatic breakthrough.
The pause also places Trump between competing political pressures at home. Supporters of a tougher line argue that Iran will only make concessions under threat of force. Others warn that a strike could trigger retaliation against US bases, shipping lanes, energy infrastructure and allied states across the Gulf. The administration’s current position seeks to combine military readiness with a short diplomatic deadline.
Israel remains a central factor in the wider conflict. Israeli operations against Iran-linked targets and continuing hostilities involving Lebanon and Gaza have complicated US calculations. Trump has said he has spoken with regional and international leaders as Washington tries to prevent the Iran confrontation from merging further with other fronts.
For Gulf governments, the immediate objective is to prevent a strike that could bring retaliatory attacks into their territory. Their appeal to Trump indicates that they believe Tehran may still be reachable through negotiation, even if the path to a durable settlement remains uncertain. Their intervention also underlines their growing role as diplomatic actors rather than passive security partners.
Topics
Spotlight