Iran has warned that its forces are moving towards a fully offensive military posture as negotiations with the United States remain stalled and Washington rejects extending the temporary framework that had restrained the conflict. The sharpening rhetoric has raised fears of renewed fighting around the Strait of Hormuz and across the wider Middle East. A senior Iranian official said Tehran was preparing for military action if diplomatic efforts failed to produce implementation of commitments contained in the June agreement. Iran considers the continued US naval blockade and restrictions around its ports a breach of the arrangement and has threatened measures designed to break the blockade. Washington, meanwhile, considers the temporary deal exhausted and has shown no willingness to extend it under the conditions demanded by Tehran.
The confrontation centres heavily on the Strait of Hormuz, the narrow waterway linking Gulf oil and gas exporters with global markets. Iran has sought greater authority over navigation through the strait, while the United States rejects Tehran's interpretation of the interim agreement and is pressing for unrestricted international passage. Disruption to the route has already added a substantial geopolitical premium to energy prices and intensified pressure on governments dependent on Gulf supplies.
The 60-day negotiating period under the Islamabad Memorandum of Understanding expired on August 17 without a comprehensive settlement. The agreement envisaged talks on ending hostilities, maritime security, sanctions, Iran's nuclear programme and the gradual removal of the US naval blockade. It also established commitments intended to facilitate commercial shipping and create conditions for a broader peace arrangement.
Both sides accuse the other of failing to fulfil core obligations. Tehran says Washington did not remove the blockade or deliver the economic measures envisaged under the agreement. US officials maintain that Iran failed to provide the maritime access and security guarantees required for normal shipping and has continued activities that Washington regards as threatening regional forces and commercial vessels.
President Donald Trump has hardened his position as the deadline passed, signalling that Washington does not consider an extension necessary. His administration has coupled military pressure with threats of harsher economic measures, leaving Iran facing the prospect of additional financial restrictions at a time when the conflict has already placed heavy pressure on its economy and infrastructure.
Tehran's warning of an offensive posture marks an important change in the language surrounding its military strategy. Iranian commanders had previously emphasised deterrence and retaliation while diplomatic channels remained open. The latest position suggests planners are considering pre-emptive or proactive operations if they conclude that continued restraint offers no political or military advantage. Iranian forces have also used the pause in large-scale fighting to strengthen their readiness for a potentially prolonged confrontation.
Diplomatic contacts have nevertheless not disappeared. Pakistan and Qatar have remained involved as intermediaries, while Turkey has urged Washington and Tehran to return to negotiations. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan spoke with Trump on August 17 and offered Ankara's support for renewed diplomacy, reflecting growing concern among regional governments that another escalation could threaten energy infrastructure and shipping routes.
Other diplomatic channels have also been explored. Austria and Greece have emerged in discussions surrounding attempts to restore communication, while indirect contacts with figures linked to Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps indicate that both sides retain avenues outside formal negotiations. Those channels have so far failed to bridge fundamental differences over sanctions, military deployments, maritime control and the terms of a permanent settlement.
Markets are already reflecting the renewed risk. Brent crude has been trading around $91 a barrel as traders assess the possibility of deeper disruption to Gulf energy exports. Longer-term bond yields have also climbed amid fears that sustained oil costs could complicate the inflation outlook and limit room for monetary easing in major economies.
Topics
World