UAE Sovereign Fund Joins Bid to Take Malaysia Airports Private


The Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (ADIA), the sovereign wealth fund of the United Arab Emirates, has joined a consortium aiming to privatize Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad (MAHB). The consortium, known as the Gateway Development Alliance, submitted a pre-conditional voluntary offer to acquire all remaining shares in MAHB for a total of $3.9 billion.

This move comes as Malaysia seeks to raise capital and potentially improve the efficiency of its airport operations. MAHB, a publicly traded company, operates 39 airports across Malaysia, including one international airport in Turkey. The consortium believes that taking MAHB private will allow for a long-term investment strategy and more flexibility in decision-making to support future growth.

Khazanah Nasional Berhad (Khazanah), Malaysia's sovereign wealth fund, and the Employees Provident Fund (EPF), the country's pension fund provider, are leading the Gateway Development Alliance. Upon successful completion of the offer, Khazanah and EPF would hold a combined 70% stake in MAHB, while ADIA and New York-based infrastructure investment firm Global Infrastructure Partners (GIP) would hold the remaining 30%.

The consortium's plans include continued investment in expanding airport capacity throughout MAHB's network. They also aim to leverage their combined expertise to strengthen Malaysia's position as a key aviation hub in Southeast Asia. ADIA, known for its global investments in infrastructure projects, is expected to contribute significant financial resources to this endeavor.

GIP, on the other hand, brings experience in managing airports worldwide. Their involvement could lead to the implementation of best practices in airport operations and management at MAHB's facilities. The consortium is confident that these changes will enhance passenger and cargo traffic flow through Malaysian airports.

The privatization proposal has sparked mixed reactions in Malaysia. While some view it as an opportunity to improve efficiency and attract foreign investment, others are concerned about potential job losses and a decline in service quality. The Malaysian government has assured stakeholders that employee rights will be protected throughout the process.

The final decision on the privatization of MAHB will depend on approval from Malaysian authorities and shareholders. If successful, this deal would mark a significant development in the Malaysian aviation sector and represent a major investment by the sovereign wealth funds of both UAE and Malaysia. The outcome will be closely watched by the aviation industry as it could set a precedent for future airport privatization deals in the region.

Previous Article Next Article