Kerala Receives Fallen Workers in Kuwait Fire

A somber mood hung heavy at the Cochin International Airport in Kerala today as a special Indian Air Force aircraft arrived carrying the mortal remains of 45 Indian nationals. These victims perished in a devastating fire that ripped through a six-story building in Kuwait's Mangaf city on Wednesday.

The arrival marked a grim chapter in the aftermath of the tragedy, which claimed the lives of at least 49 people, most of them migrant workers. Officials in Kuwait had previously confirmed the identities of the 45 Indian victims, along with three Filipino nationals, on Thursday.

Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan, along with Union Minister of State Suresh Gopi, Leader of the Opposition V. D. Satheesan, and several state cabinet ministers, were present at the airport to receive the remains and pay their respects. The airport bustled with a flurry of activity as teams prepared for the dignified repatriation process. Ambulances stood by, ready to transport the remains to their respective destinations within Kerala and beyond.

Union Minister Kirti Vardhan Singh, who had played a key role in coordinating with Kuwaiti authorities regarding the repatriation efforts, also disembarked from the aircraft. The Indian government had pledged its full support to the bereaved families, working tirelessly with Kuwaiti officials to expedite the return of the remains.

The landing in Kochi marked the first leg of the repatriation journey. The IAF aircraft was scheduled for a brief stopover before departing for Delhi later in the day. There, the remains of victims from other Indian states would be received. The Kerala government had made arrangements to ensure a smooth transition for the onward journey, with ambulances prepared to transport the remains to their final destinations across the country.

The tragedy has sent shockwaves through Indian communities both domestically and abroad. Many of the deceased were the breadwinners of their families, their sudden loss leaving a gaping hole in their loved ones' lives. Tributes poured in from across the political spectrum, with leaders expressing their condolences and pledging support to the grieving families.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation, with Kuwaiti authorities vowing a prompt and thorough probe. As the flames are extinguished and the smoke clears, the focus now shifts to ensuring a dignified farewell for the departed and offering solace to the families grappling with this immense loss.

Previous Article Next Article